About Horana Calvary church

Horana church is located in Kalutara district under Archdiocese of Colombo . This miraculous church bearing a century old history locating in a green environment. The parish covers a long distance for its missionary work. We find this district as a multi religious and multi-ethnic area.

Present Parish Priest : Rev. Fr. Nuwan Buddhika ( 2017 up to date )

More Information about Horana Calvary church

  • Number of families : 401
  • Total number of Catholics : 1199
  • Number of vocations: 01 Seminarian
  • Number of substations : 07

(This information is collected in December 2017)

 

Location

 

History

  • The church was initiated by renovating  a house which was in the land and consecrated in the name of St. Philomina in August 1910.
  • In 1954, The church declared as a separate parish.
  • In the year 1966, a new church building constructed under the guidance of the prominent architect – Mr. Valentine Gunasekara.
  • The church consecrated to St. Martin De Porres by His Lordship Cardinal Thomas Cooray
  • Later the church became a Calvary shrine and became a place that visited by pilgrims from all over the country

 

Past Parish priests

  • Rev. Fr. Augustine Fernandopulle
  • Rev. Fr. Canisius Nerris
  • Rev. Fr.Erinton Silva
  • Rev. Fr.Jayalath Balagalle
  • Rev. Fr.Prakash Fernando
  • Rev. Fr. George Thisera
  • Rev. Fr. Stanley Laouse
  • Rev. Fr. Bosco Perera
  • Rev. Fr. Sunil Kumara Peiris
  • Rev. Fr. Felix Mawel
  • Rev. Fr. Micheal Croose
  • Rev. Fr. Secstus Kurakulasooriya
  • Rev. Fr. Julius Wijesooriya (OMI)
  • Rev. Fr. A. Fleiber
  • Rev. Fr. Methaes  Fernando
  • Rev. Fr. Felix Perera
  • Rev. Fr.George Perera
  • Rev. Fr. Secarius Dabaera
  • – Earlier under Mathugama parish